Indiana Jones customs

Show us your work (including your own decals), with or without our products.

Indiana Jones customs

Postby jp-30 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:57 pm

I've posted this in a couple of other places, incl FBTB, but what with the IJ4 movie being announced recently, thought there may be some renewed interest.

Thought I'd turn my hand to making some Indiana Jones characters, but wanted to make them without adding any paint or decals. Some LEGO printing has been removed though on a couple of figs (in post-production in my image editing program!).

I know there is room for improvement especially Well of Souls Indy & Sallah (white ninja hoods or white turbans would be handy there), plus a blonde / tan hairpiece for Elsa and a black one for Marion, plus a printed suit for Toht - but utilising the pieces I have available I think there are some reasonable approximations.

I have a few more pieces since these shots were taken, so I may revise some of the figs in the coming weeks.

(click images for larger versions)

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Temple of Doom

Image Image Image

The Last Crusade

Image Image

In that original thread on FBTB, Vulture_Droid described his version of Indy, which I duly constructed;

And here's how Toht would look with a modified pilot torso (image manipulated with paint-shop pro)

I have also since found a grey hairpiece for Elsa Schneider that will look better than the current brown (but not as good as blonde). Don't suppose Leia's Bespin hairpiece has been produced in blonde?

I've also got some cowboy hats to replace Indy's Johnny Thunder hat, but it's doesn't look quite right either.

I guess the next step are a few vignettes, a few more characters and maybe some playset / scenes (but they're for another forum). I may also need to look at converting them all to fleshies, for which I might as well use a few custom decals if the face isn't yet available from LEGO in that colour.
jp-30
Administrator

Postby MMCB » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:06 am

Those are looking pretty sweet JP. Very easily recognisable to the characters.

It just goes to show, with a bit of thought and imagination you can easily make custom figs without having to resort to paint/decals/other non lego pieces.

Cheers,
MMCB

PS: I love the Sean Connery rendition, priceless ;)
MMCB
Thread Master

Postby Kaminoan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:58 am

Great work, I really like this series. Custom figures doesn't always mean we cut things up.

Nice

Kam
Kaminoan
Why Live in the Box? Customize Your World!!!
Fine Clonier
FineClonier@gmail.com
Kaminoan
Cloner in Chief

Postby jp-30 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:45 pm

Here's a sneak preview of the first of my 2nd batch of "new & revised" IJ Minifigs.

(click to enlarge)

As with the earlier minifigs this is made from 100% unmodified LEGO bricks. No cutting, no trimming, no custom decals.

More to come in the next few days...
jp-30
Administrator

Postby jp-30 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:18 am

OK, here are some new and updated Indiana Jones figs - All without modified parts except where indicated.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
(click to enlarge)

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Temple of Doom

Image Image

Image Image Image

Last Crusade

Image Image

Modifications:

Toht had some lines removed from standard LEGO torso print.
Mechanic has custom chest decal.
Double Swordsmen have black applied to mask 1/2 of the face.
Last edited by jp-30 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jp-30
Administrator

Postby Kaminoan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:01 am

Great work JP, love these figs. On your double swordmen have you thought about using a bandana? I can't recall how they looked in the film, but thought it would work for you here and keep your custom parts down.

Example

Kam
Kaminoan
Fine Clonier
FineClonier@gmail.com
Kaminoan
Cloner in Chief

Postby jp-30 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:37 pm

It works well - check out the inset on my Well of Souls Indy where I also used a Turban / Bandana combination. Just need to BL some black ones I guess (along with a million other things).
Last edited by jp-30 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jp-30
Administrator

Postby jp-30 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:41 pm

ATTN: Recluce.

Neither the Adventurers hat nor the Cowboy hat really capture the Indy hat shape properly.

The Cowboy hat's brim is too chunky and curls up too much at the sides, and the central crease is wrong. The Adventurer hat has nice 'dimples' , but the central secton is too squat, the brim curls up at one point, is flat elsewhere and is too round.

I know you're snowed under Emily, but at some stage I would love to work out if it would be possible to cast a more accurate fedora. I'm sure it would prove hugely popular, especially as the Indy Jones IV movie production & hype machine starts rolling.

There would also be other uses within the Indy Jones universe for such a cast...

jp-30
Administrator

Postby DekeStarkiller » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:37 pm

Awesome man! I hope to use your templates to work for my collection.
"I love lamp."
DekeStarkiller
Grad Student

Postby jp-30 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:11 pm

Here are a couple of rough digital mockups showing that the new hat mold in the Indy line may have more than one use...

jp-30
Administrator

Postby jp-30 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:44 pm

Kam, if they don't make those figs, I'd love to dye a hat black for Toht, I've read your vinyl dye technique. I assume brown to black is easy enough.

But what about brown to white for Bellq and Marcus Brody? Is there a bleach that would work, or would it be better to just paint it or wait for a custom cast?
jp-30
Administrator

Postby Kaminoan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:38 pm

They make white vinyl dye too, which should work. If not I have other tricks we can talk about.

Kam
Kaminoan
Fine Clonier
FineClonier@gmail.com
Kaminoan
Cloner in Chief

Postby jp-30 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:24 am

Sounds great! Good thing is I have an abundance of adventurer and cowboy hats, so can give the recolouring jobs a decent trial run too.
jp-30
Administrator

Postby jp-30 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:35 pm

OK, new fleshie versions of my Indy customs. Some minor recolouring (Marion's scarf, Toht's hat), but mostly from untouched official pieces.

And a vig for good measure (though I need one more black hood to complete it properly)

jp-30
Administrator

Postby The Sissy CSI » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:43 am

The only suggestion I have is to maybe use Brickarms where they are needed such as the vig where one of the black hooded guys has a German gun.
The Sissy CSI
Novice

Postby Dr. Jones » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:54 pm

On the modified Sallah, what set is the hood in?

Thanks,
Dr. J
"Hey, Doll, you call 'im Dr. Jones!" -Short Round
Dr. Jones
Grad Student

Postby jp-30 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:07 pm

That's Dengar's white Ninja hood from Slave 1. I cut it a little, so not a purist approach.

See here.
jp-30
Administrator

Thanks

Postby Dr. Jones » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:26 pm

Thanks. I was wondering if that was how it was done (I have Dengar and wanted to make a Map-Room Indy like one I saw on eBay, but couldn't figure out what set the hood similar to Dengar's but more revealing it was that he used (I prepared a visit to BrickLink).

Thanks for saving me the trouble. :D

Did you cut it with an ex-acto knife? :|

Thanks again,
Dr. J

Edit: For Toht, you could add a trenchcoat from MMCB. Just a thought.
Dr. Jones
Grad Student

Postby jp-30 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Yep, just a standard hobby knife thing.

And good idea with the trenchcoat.
jp-30
Administrator

Thanks

Postby Dr. Jones » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:42 pm

Thank you again. And another thing, I liked the way you modified the Star Wars Blaster to become a MP40. You could, however, get some from BrickArms.

I would have some already, but the minimal buy is $10, and I need to get all the Indy sets first (I still need Temple of the Crystal Skull, Temple Escape, and Peril in Peru).

Edit: So for now, I am going to disarm my Clones, Droids, Stormtroopers, and Rebels to make custom MP40s. 8)
Dr. Jones
Grad Student

Postby spreben » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:24 pm

Great use of parts. It looks almost like the actual pictures. You could make a whole movie with all those parts. :D
spreben
Student

Postby darth yoda » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:40 pm

I love that short round. Good job!
darth yoda
Grad Student

Return to Custom Figure Central