FC Historical Figure Contest!!!!

FC Historical Figure Contest!!!!

Postby Kaminoan » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:41 pm

Announcing the FC Historical Figure Contest!!

?What is the contest,? you ask. Well it is simply building a Historical figure out of official LEGO elements. THAT IS CORRECT, NO CUSTOM PARTS. It doesn?t matter what your culture ANY historical figure will do. Please submit one reference from WIKI or similar site for your historical figure; it has been a while since world history back in high school.

PLEASE NOTE: Your figure will be judged on how well it resembles the historical person it emulates, so make sure your reference material gives some physical description of the person if not a photo.

?There has to be a catch,? you say, well not this time, anyone from any country can enter. And now for the best part, the prize is none other than that most highly sought after golden droid C-3P0. Thanks to the generous anonymous contribution the FC has secured a gold C-3P0 for the contest.

RULES:

1. Figure constructed must be historically significant, i.e. pick up a history book and read about them.

2. Figure must be constructed from ?OFFICAL? LEGO elements ONLY, no decals, no custom parts.

3. Contest is open to ANY and ALL, WORLDWIDE, so spread the word. The only ineligible person is ME, Kaminoan.

4. You are allowed to submit as many FIGURES as you like, only limit is ONE ENTRY PER POST. If you have multiple entries you must make multiple posts.

5. Submission must be accompanied with a link to reference material on that figure, example WIKI or some other online encyclopedia.

6. Picture submission will be via the forums, in the contest thread. Pictures must be formatted to 400 pixels x 400 pixels and posted in the appropriate forum. Limit of 1 picture per Historical Figure!!! You may link your one picture to a gallery, but your figure will be judged solely on this ONE photo.

7. The Contest will start as soon as you start Constructing, but submissions will be accepted from Midnight (US Central Standard Time) on September 1st, 2007 to Midnight (US Central Standard Time) on October 1st, 2007.

8. The historical figures will be initially judged by a panel of non-Lego people, of the FC selection, to identify the top 5 figures. Once the top 5 figures have been identified voting in the forums will commence approximately one week after the submission deadline to select the best historical figure.

9. All decisions by the FC are final. The FC reserves the right to disqualify any submissions for any reason.

Now the good stuff:

PRIZES:

? TOP Prize (One): Gold C-3P0 still in the white 1-10,000 bag. This is an all or none contest.

? Second Prize (Two): A set of the custom accessories I have sculpted and cast, no tauntaun, sorry. Most have not seen these pieces and I will not list them here, but I believe whoever wins them will be happy. Not as happy as first place, but it is better than a kick in the teeth.

Think that is about it, a thread will be set up shortly for submission, please ask contest questions here.

Since your figure will be judged on your photographs, take your time and submit the best photos you can. You can always shrink them down to the appropriate size. Need help figuring out how to take that photo or alter its size, check the forums for tips.

Don?t know how to make a custom figure out of official parts, just yank those arms off, and switch them out, it is the ultimate minifig part mix and match.

Please feel free to announce this contest anywhere and everywhere.

These figures would all be illegal in the current contest as they use decals and custom parts.

--- Kaminoan
Last edited by Kaminoan on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kaminoan
Why Live in the Box? Customize Your World!!!
Fine Clonier
FineClonier@gmail.com
Kaminoan
Cloner in Chief

Postby PrincessAriana » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:09 pm

This time I am entering. Already have a figure selected. Going to work to find pieces now.
PrincessAriana
Mad Scientist

Postby jp-30 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:15 pm

Wonderful. I think it's a matter of looking at all my LEGO faces and working backwards from there.
Last edited by jp-30 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jp-30
Administrator

Postby uubergeek » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:07 pm

wooooot for gold 3po'S!
uubergeek
Database Slayer

Postby Pharazon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:40 pm

Certainly a generous donation. I might enter this one, however oddly enough, I'm finding it difficult to revert to a purist state.
Pharazon
Grad Student

Postby arealight » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:39 am

It's really an exciting news,a pure LEGO minifigs,hum.I have to make a thorough search for it. ;)
And what I expected most is the secret casts of Kam.
arealight
Master Sculptor

Postby Damien » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:21 am

Aw man - I stink at making stuff without chopping and gluing. Still, might be worthwhile for me to give this one a go anyway. What's the worst that can happen, right?

Kam - what's your stance on historical figures with -no- physical representation or truly decent description? Basically meaning, historical figures before portrait painting was common, and long before photographs?

Also - when you say no customizing whatsoever, I need a little clarification:

Does it count as customizing if you apply a decal that replicates an actual LEGO design? Such as your 'MIB' torso decal. I just think it's a good idea to clarify that, because it would be customizing, but I think it would also be within the intent of your contest - and some people might find it easier to use a decal than to try to find some of the rarer or more expensive prints.
Damien
Lab Assistant

Postby Kaminoan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:36 am

The Rules state NO DECALS and most won't have the option to use the decal method to get the "original" rare LEGO parts. If you can replicate an "offical" part such that I can't tell then go for it. If I can tell though, I will DQ your fig. If I were to use this method, I would make it look exactly like the offical part, including part color, meaning for example I wouldn't stick the MIB decal on a green torso. Honestly, I would avoid this option as you are skating on thin ice.

As I state in the rules, if you choose someone from before photographs/portrait sketches then make sure you can supply a decent description of the character from some reputable website/historical expert. Just this morning NPR covered this huge story about the appearance of King Tut. The experts portray him one way much to the dismay of several groups who have protested the King Tut Exhibit as it has crossed the US. There seems to be disagree on his skin tone and facial features. So even the experts disagree from time to time, mainly due to lack of ability to really describe these features from bone records. As long as you can back up your version, that is all that matters. I would prefer not seeing a John Wilks Booth as a forestman, for example.

Hope that helps.

Kam
Kaminoan
Fine Clonier
FineClonier@gmail.com
Kaminoan
Cloner in Chief

Postby Clonecommando007 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 am

I never use decals anyways, so I'll join.
[url=http://thecabg.net]Image
Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild - www.TheCABG.net[/url]
Clonecommando007
Ink Slinger

Location: "I'm just a simple clone trying to make my way through the universe."

Postby ImperialScouts » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:43 am

Does it matter if the figure is in a scenic picture( with lego peices ), or must it be on it's own?

I'll deffinately enter :] !
ImperialScouts
Student

Postby Kaminoan » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:53 am

Are you asking if you can build a vignette around it. Hummm, haven't really thought about that. I am sure there are some who will photoshop in a background, which if they can do that, why can't you throw a few bricks around it. You have to remember this is a figure building contest and not a vignette contest so I would definitely play up the figure.

Kam
Kaminoan
Fine Clonier
FineClonier@gmail.com
Kaminoan
Cloner in Chief

Postby Vidgamer838 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:13 pm

Great, I have my entry ready, just need to photograph it this week.
Vidgamer838
Lab Assistant

Postby Lightning Bolt » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:36 pm

Awsome! I'm going to try and enter... No decals, eh? Dang... Well, I'll be able to enter soon, I expect...
-Lightning Bolt
Lightning Bolt
Novice

Postby oo7 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:27 pm

Very cool contest! And purist too, my favorite! So we can enter as many minifigs as we want, but do they have to made recently?
oo7
Novice

Postby MMCB » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:26 pm

oo7 wrote:Very cool contest! And purist too, my favorite! So we can enter as many minifigs as we want

4. You are allowed to submit as many FIGURES as you like, only limit is ONE ENTRY PER POST. If you have multiple entries you must make multiple posts.

Simple answer:- Yes

oo7 wrote:but do they have to made recently?

No, they doesn't have to be recent. As long as you have SOMETHING (picture, description, etc) from a reliable source to back-up why you made the figure the way you did, then it's fine.

MMCB
MMCB
Thread Master

Postby jp-30 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:08 pm

I think they're referring to when the minifig was constructed, rather than how far back in history the real person lived. (Maybe you know that and are just giving a broad answer). ;-)
jp-30
Administrator

Postby MMCB » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:22 am

Umm, yeah, of course......just giving a broad answer to make sure everyone understands :oops: :?

lol, and here's me thinking I'm all helpful and everything, sheesh!!!!
Sorry 'bout that :oops:

MMCB
MMCB
Thread Master

Postby Kaminoan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:16 am

As many as you want reguardless of when they were constructed.

Kam
Kaminoan
Fine Clonier
FineClonier@gmail.com
Kaminoan
Cloner in Chief

Postby Tzidik » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:42 pm

how did i only just find out about this! im on it!
Tzidik
Novice

Postby Scipio Bellorum » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:10 pm

Does the figure have to be a specific person eg. Lincoln or can in just be a general historical person ie. An American Soldier?
Scipio Bellorum
Lab Assistant

Postby Joc » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:22 pm

I have two questions i can put a photo of the real person and then the photo of the minifigure? if the real person in the photo is wearing a blue t-shirt(for example) in the minifig i have to put it blue or it can be different
Joc
Novice

Postby Kaminoan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:42 am

If you place a photo next to the real person you are likely going to be judged on its similarities. I would go for the most regonizable outfit. For example I wouldn't put Abe Lincoln in Green. I am sure he wore some green in his lifetime, but he is known by that photo above in the contest descriptor.

Kam
Kaminoan
Fine Clonier
FineClonier@gmail.com
Kaminoan
Cloner in Chief

Postby UniqueBuilder » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:00 pm

I'll try to enter with one or more figs. :) Let's see what I've got here...
UniqueBuilder

Postby Joc » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi im new ia have a question how do i post images??
Joc
Novice

Postby MMCB » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:52 pm

Joc:
I sent you a PM to help you out.

MMCB
MMCB
Thread Master

Next

Return to Contests Archive